We are currently working towards the Primary Science Quality Mark
The PSQM Vision is for primary schools across the UK to evaluate, strengthen and celebrate their science provision
What is PSQM?
Primary Science Quality Mark is not like other quality marks: it is a year-long CPD programme that helps schools to achieve a quality mark, whether science within the school has been a low profile for a while or the school wants to improve the provision further. It focuses on developing effective, confident science leadership for whole school impact on science teaching and learning. The PSQM :
- Enables science subject leaders to develop and articulate a clear intent and aspirational vision for science. The process of achieving a PSQM raises the profile and quality of science across the whole school.
- Supports subject leaders to effectively implement a curriculum for science that is informed by research evidence and best practice data. Working with an expert hub leader subject leaders evaluate current provision for science and put in place a development cycle that leads to sustained progress in science across the school.
- Ensures strong and positive impact: Children make good progress, building and consolidating their knowledge and skills, developing positive attitudes about science and its value to their lives and globally. Teachers and children enjoy their science lessons.
- To raise the profile of science in primary schools.
- To provide schools with a framework and professional support for developing science leadership, teaching and learning.
- To celebrate excellence in primary science.
- To work with existing and facilitate new networks across the UK and wider to provide local support for primary science.
- To assemble and make accessible to the wider science education community a rich data base of current practice in primary science
What is the PSQM Process?
Schools achieve a Primary Science Quality Mark following a rigorous process of self –evaluation.
Supported by compulsory CPD and expert mentoring the subject leader works with colleagues across the school to:
- audit existing provision in science and agree appropriate quality mark to work towards
- create and implement an action plan to develop all aspects of science teaching and learning
- complete a reflective submission with key pieces of evidence to demonstrate the impact of science leadership in the school
- the final submission is made online, via a bespoke PSQM Virtual Learning Environment